Thursday 18 November 2010

Taking her up the aisle....

We're not really Royalists The Boy and I. In fact I'm of the 'chop their heads off' persuasion....I'm not quite sure of The Boy's real views on the matter, but he is at least irreverent.

The Girls on the other hand are loyal subjects...and certainly love a good wedding.

So you can imagine, the amount of time and space being given over to the Royal wedding is driving me to distraction. On the day of the announcement, the BBC, as it always does, went off the deep end with its coverage. All day there was 'live coverage' filling the airwaves. Live coverage of what? They got engaged in October, they're not getting married until the spring at the earliest. They've been dating for eight years. There was nothing to talk about. Really absolutely nothing And more importantly, the days when we are all were passionate royalists are long gone. William's mother and father are probably to blame for that. Yet the BBC still insists on devoting ridiculous amounts of resources to this.

I'm not happy.

The morning after, The Times was giving away a souvenir poster, which The Boy put up...and then felt the need to decorate...



The Girls are not happy.

I am mercenary enough though to look forward to the inevitable public holiday, this will bring...

Whilst I'm on the subject of the media, I rather think they've got it all wrong with
Aung San Suu Kyi too. I'm delighted that she's been released...no one should be confined to home for a decade or more. There is, after all only so much tidyng up you can do. But in celebrating her release I suspect the world's media and our glorious leaders are being remarkably naive in suggesting that this is a step forward for Burma. She's been released by the military on their terms and their timing - days after an election which they engineered. They were the first elections for twenty years and it'll probably be another two decades before we see more elections there again. Her party remains banned. She is politically impotent, and if she says too much will doubtless be locked up for sedition. This is a real PR victory for the military.

And as these things always come in threes...I can't help but think that the Irish situation is yet another victory for the bankers...a state forced to take loans from the EU because the market says it should and not necessarily because they actually need to. In another age, it would be time for revolution...and I know who I'd be putting up against the wall first!

I may have got out of bed the wrong side this morning....