Saturday 22 November 2008

Six things

Well the lovely Rosiero tagged me to reveal six things that make me happy, and six things that are interesting. I've found it quite tough, but here goes:


Things that make me happy

1. Snow. I would like it to be snowy every day of winter and for it never to turn slushy. Of course it’s even better if it’s on a mountain

2. Smokey pubs, especially while drinking a glass of Strathisla whisky. I know they don't exist anymore, and I hate smoking with a passion. But pubs are supposed to be smokey and smell of stale beer.

3. The boy – nothing comes close (of course). Every moment of every day

4. Rollerblading - when I can on a Wednesday or Friday night with up to 500 other skaters round the streets of London

5. The roof down on the car, especially when it's a moonlight night, and better still if it's snowing

6.Time to myself. It doesn't happen very often, so I revel in it. But all things in small doses


Six interesting things


1. I’ve skied with a murderer – a very sad tale, but if you Google Gordon Wood and Caroline Byrne, you’ll see he’s just been convicted of throwing her off a cliff. He was hiding in Megeve, which is where we go skiing, and he used to take pictures of and for the Boy and I on the piste

2. My wife and I met and married in 99 days. According to friends, when we met there was an audible resonance when our eyes first met.. We had just two people at our wedding, and no honeymoon. We never looked back until we divorced. Five years and five days later. (Actually it was six days, but that doesn’t quite work as well)

3. I once went to collect a plain brown envelope from a penthouse in Hyde Park. In the envelope was £20,000 to stop my then girlfriend bringing a court case for sexual harassment. Another way of describing it was that I slept with a woman who had slept with the father of the man who was sleeping with the (then) future queen of England

4. My plan for when I give up work (which will be in about two weeks if the economy keeps going as it is) is to visit every UN World Heritage site – there’s nigh on a thousand of them. Kind of a ‘Greatest Hits’ Tour. If I’m clever I’ll write a book on it, but I suspect I won’t be!

5. I have a Cilla Black greatest hits CD which I adore. Fortunately the rest of my music collection consists of Foo Fighters, Stereophonics, Kings of Leon, Duffy, Killers, Editors, Manic Street Porters, Lloyd Cole and so on. Plus Englebert Humperdink

6. I've bee kissed by a German cow. In my year between school and university I worked in Oberjoch, a village in the German alps. I spent my afternoons climbing, and one day lay down for a snooze in a field. I was woken by a cow licking my face

Now I think I'm supposed to nominate six more folks...but I'm iot sure who or how, so have patience....

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the moonlit night but I have to have stars, they make me at peace with myself.

    and you've met some interesting people, haven't you ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not me please, I haven't led half such an interesting life!

    I am sorry such a romantic tale (re your ex-wife) ended so sadly. She didn't share your penchant for snow in the open-top I take it..?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I stumbled across your blog and have been reading back, you write really well.

    Just had to comment as I'm from Sydney (moved here from Norf London in 1987 when I was 8), so I know the Gordon Wood thing, surprising to suddenly see the name pop up, though it's been reported about him hiding in ski resorts.

    Did he call himself Gordon?

    Apparently he was so convinced he would be acquitted, he left his scooter parked in the street on th way to court. Presumably his family picked it up!

    ~Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Alice...thank you for the comment :-)

    Yes he was quite open about his name...he did various jobs when there - a masseur and on the slopes photography. His mistake was to upset someone by pinching their skis. They had always thought there was something fishy about him, so they searched the www, and then shopped him to the police!

    Norf London to Sydney that's quite a change!

    ReplyDelete

There's only one thing worse than being commented on...not commented on