Thursday 14 March 2013

Nuts

Last night before we dined with Mr Walliams we went to a 'Promenade Performance' at Somerset House.  The performance was 'In the beginning was the end'.  Essentially, this is immersive and interactive theatre in the basement corridors of the building.  It's the sort of conceptial theatrical bullshit that I love, and The CAt's Mother tolerates.

You don't get the programme until the end, so you have to work out what it's all about.  We decided it was about the greed and cynicism of multinational corporations...a popular theme with me.  But as it turns out, the concept came from Da Vinci who thought that mankind was obsessed with machinery.  Which is odd, because I thought that was exactly what he was obsessed with.  And somehow we missed John the Baptist.  If you go you can make your own mind up.  We were warned before we started our journey that there was male and female nudity.  Hurrah, it's about time we didn't see something that was just todgers all over the place.  And there were more naked women than men.  But boohoo.  Strangers nudity is fine when it's twenty metres away on the stage, but rather less comfortable when these folk pass within touching distance.  Not that we did.  Anyway, an experience, but perhaps it was all concept and no execution or artistry.

I'm always fascinated by the nuances of language.

Today, I had a problem because a package that should have been delivered hadn't arrived.  When I called the supplier to find out what was going on they told me that it was because of the way I filled in the form.  I explained quite politely that I could only fill in the form the way it was presented on my computer screen, so I couldn't accept any implication that I had done anything wrong.  Indeed I was right the man admitted, the fault lay with their software and what was on screen hadn't translated into the right address label.

At the weekend The Cat managed to clip the curb with the car.  She's been driving a short while and these things happen.  I was told when I started riding a motorbike that it was inevitable that I would have an accident within six months.  Indeed I did.  So if this is The Cat's equivalent we have all been let off very lightly and should all be grateful.  She was with El Bastardo*, but they were unable to put the spare on as they couldn't get the wheel nuts undone.  The AA man came and (apparently) explained  the wheel was rusted to the hub caps, and the only way to remove them was with a copper hammer because a normal one would shatter the bolts.

Now here comes the language thing again.  The Cat's Mother got a text from El Bastardo saying with great authority that all the wheels should be checked because they were rusted in place, the nuts were seized and the only way to loosen them was with a copper hammer.  No mention of the AA man.  Written in a tone of great knowledge and authority.  EB is a very, very, very successful man.  And I think I understand why.  Because he acquired the knowledge about the wheel, and now dispenses it as if it's his own.

If I had been in the same situation, I would have said, "The AA man told me that....."  You can take it from that I am not very, very, very successful, but just as knowledgeable.

*I didn't include her father in my list of characters.  This has to be said in a very heavy accent, and with a degree of humour.  We bare no grudges.


On Saturday, I went on photographic course...hence the pictures this week.  The best part was listening to two hours of our (French) tutor explaining the techniques of famous photographers.  The worst part was the gut who kept answering his phone during those two hours.  I don't know if it will do me any good, but it was an enjoyable way to spend a Saturday, and a good way to make me go out on to the streets and take some pictures.



This is what's known in our house as a 'tosser photo'


None of us on the course could really get this right...but it was fascinating to see this old pub being renovated whilst the ugly modern buildings tried to crowd it out


And I just liked the contrast between the cheap booze and the church