Thursday 17 January 2013

Happy anniversary

I was surprised to realise that yesterday's post was my 1001th.  Of course, I'd like to apologise for burdening you all with the nonsense that pops up here on an all too regular basis.  Half an hour a post, makes that roughly 500 hours...that's twice as long as it took to rehearse for the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

And come to mention that, it was exactly a year ago that I received my Olympic offer:

Congratulations! London 2012 Ceremonies are pleased to inform you that you have been successful in your audition to become a Ceremonies Volunteer Performer in the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening or Closing Ceremonies. We hope that you are able to accept this once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a global event that expresses and celebrates the passion and creativity of the United Kingdom in front of the entire world. You have been selected to perform in the Opening Ceremony as part of the 44-GROUP-A cast group.

Below is a brief overview of the cast group that you have been selected for together with general information regarding rehearsals and what will be required from you.

Cast GroupOlympic Opening Ceremony:
Segment 44 Group A
Role OutlineCharacter/movement and utility role in spectacular sequence in Opening Ceremony
Rehearsal Site Facilities
  • There will be rehearsals at 3 venues in East London including 3 Mills and the Stadium.


That was the start of the most extraordinary adventure of my life.  I was lucky beyond my dreams, meeting some amazing people who put their heart and soul into it.  I have some amazing memories from every stage of the experience...the initial rehearsals when we didn't have a clue about what we were doing and thought we would never learn the moves, many rainy days in the Ford car park in Dagenham through to our first time in the stadium.  The experience will live with me for ever.



Not forgetting that I could never have done without the support and encouragement of all my friends and family.  Thank you.