Thursday 1 July 2010

Bits and bobs; odds and sods

The Boy has received a commendation at school...none of us (including The Boy) are entirely sure why. He was given a mini-torch by the headmistress, who said "I know it's crap, but it's all we've got. Well done." I'm not sure whether to be shocked or impressed at her use of the word crap... I like it when people say it as it is!

I recently went to a family reunion. The eldest there was Uncle Jack, who's pushing towards his 100th. He has an e-mail account. I think that's pretty cool.

Tuesday evening riding home on the Mid-Life Crisis, I was overtaken by another biker who was weaving in and out of the traffic and going about twice the speed limit. I thought 'He's going to have an accident'. Indeed he did...about 10 yards in front of me. Given this was the busy A12 dual carriageway in the rush hour, I thought he would die as his bike slid in one direction with sparks flying everywhere whilst he headed in the opposite direction, bouncing between cars. The traffic came to a halt, and he staggered up, quite bruised and battered. Half of me was pleased, the other half thought he deserved what he got and worse. He got torn jeans and bike jacket, a few bruises and scratches...I left before the ambulance and police arrived. But not before giving my contact details to the woman whose car his bike had skidded into - he accused her of pulling out in front of him. What a shame he couldn't take responsibility for his own stupidity.

The Cat has bought some shorts for the summer. The Cat's Mum's eyebrows are raised. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop....

We parked in Loughton yesterday, and the ticket machine wasn't working...which is usual these days. And this is because they are trying to encourage people to pay by mobile phone. Which is fine for those who have them, but not for people (such as many pensioners) who don't. The system is slow and cumbersome, and prone to not working...it took me several goes before their system finally recognised the location number on the parking machine. So for one hour I paid the 65 pence plus however much the call was....and what has really enraged me is the '20pence convenience charge'. Convenient for whom - certainly not for me, nor any of the half dozen people also trying to pay. I can't tell you how much I hate bureaucratic double-speak.

Saw The Kings of Leon last night in Hyde Park. When I say saw, I mean we were so far back that we could watch them on the video screens. I love their music, but his is the second time I've seen them and been completely underwhelmed by their stage presence - so next time I'll save my money. I'm glad my companions brought the gin and vermouth and olives and ice to make martinis because this made my birthday treat very palatable.